Thursday, September 24, 2009

Growing Gwangju

In the past year and a half that I've lived in Gwangju, I've seen a lot of people come and go. That's the reality of the ESL life here; it's always changing. Along with the people, the city has changed, too. New apartment buildings are going up all the time, indicating that more people are now calling Gwangju home. Every week it seems there's a new clothing store, coffee shop, restaurant, or hof opening up while dozens of other buildings go vacant due to the economy.

In the last year and a half I've been happy to see the changes coming to Gwangju. Many stores and restaurants from home have made their way here to make life a little easier and more exciting. With the opening of Gwangju's first IMAX theater, the bus terminal has now become the new place to go for shopping, food, and entertainment. The bus terminal is home to Coldstone Creamery, my favorite place to get ice cream. There's also two other nice restaurants on the second floor down from the Coldstone, along with a Burger King, Twosome Place, and Papa Roti. If that doesn't hit the spot, then there are many more restaurants and cafes downstairs to suit any taste.

It's exciting to see all the changes that have happened so far, and I look forward to what comes next!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I saw a link to your blog on the Teach ESL Korea website, so I decided to check out a few posts. Sounds like you're having a good time there, and you really write in such a clear way that I can imagine what it would (or will) be like for me and my wife. I already look forward to trying to fresh fruit and vegetables (we're currently in northeastern Canada).

    So... thanks!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, and for the compliment! I'm always trying to provide a good insight into what life is like here. I hope you will enjoy your transition to Korea!

    ReplyDelete

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails