Saturday, February 21, 2009

Everybody dance now!

Today is the annual talent show and graduation ceremony. It's also known as the most stressful time of year at school. For two months starting in January, kids are roped into singing, dancing, and practicing for this show. Not only do the kids feel the pressure, the teachers do too. Big time.

This show has the potential to turn the most mild-mannered indivduals into raging monsters not suitable for human eyes to witness. By the end of the exhaustive rehearsal process, you really don't want to spend any more time around kids or your co-workers because you had stressed the heck out of them.

The good thing is, I am almost done with all this madness! Next Friday will be my last day at this school. Hard to believe I've been in Korea for almost a year now, but it's fast coming to a close. It's also a relief because while I do like my co-workers and most of my students, this kind of job wears you down to the point of burnout. If I learned one thing from this year, it's that I'm not made for teaching the little kids. I admire those who can do it and enjoy it immensely, but it is just not me.

I'm looking forward to starting my new job where I have older students I can hold conversations with in class. I'm also looking forward to having more creativity in my lessons without worrying about scrambling to finish books on time. And I'm looking forward to my new co-worker and getting to hang out with her more.

All of this makes me anxious for March; it also makes me nervous and apprehensive. I hope it will all go well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails