Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Awesome Things about Korea #7: Holy Lightning Speed Internet, Batman!

Nothing makes me happier than to be able to sit at my computer and stream YouTube and Hulu videos in half the time it took at home.  (Of course, if I used too much bandwidth at the house, my dad would complain and eventually shut off the router.)  If I download songs, apps, or movies from ITunes they finish at breakneck speeds.

South Korea is home to the fastest broadband connection in the world, with Internet speeds of around 14.58Mbps.  Compare that to the US, which runs at 3.88Mbps.  It's no wonder I felt like a snail on my computer at home!  This article from CNN in March 2010 details why the Internet is much faster in South Korea.

Not only does it have the fastest connection, but Korea also has a great amount of wireless networks spread across the country.  It's no uncommon to be able to find wifi in many stores, coffee shops, and restaurants here.  The coverage area is increasing, as more and more networks pop up.  As I mentioned a while ago, this comes in handy when you have an IPod Touch as I do.  You can take your email and other Internet-based activities wherever you go.

I must confess though, that I'm considering upgrading in the fall to a contract IPhone 4G through SHOW, for a few reasons:

(1)  newer, faster models with the new operating software
(2)  I need a new cellphone since the current one is dying a slow death
(3)  I want to upgrade my storage space for music and apps from my current 8 gigs

So why not just put that all into one neat package?  However, it remains to be seen if I will be successful in this endeavor (with a Korean friend's help), but I'll let you know come fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails