Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Food Hallucinations

So ever since I came to Korea (almost 5 months ago now!), I've been missing a lot of my favorite foods from back home. Some things I can find an okay substitute for, such as making my own sweet tea, the fried chicken from HBC, and actual doughnuts from Krispy Kreme. But there are still many things that no matter how hard I try, there just isn't a substitute to be had here. In Seoul it is definitely easier to find whatever foreign food you crave, such as Mexican, Thai, Indian, or some fish and chips. So I was very happy to learn that Seoul had the restaurant On The Border, and that I can satisfy my taste for some enchiladas, flautas, or refried beans whenever I make the trip to Seoul on vacation.

Having spent over half my life in North Carolina, I have come to appreciate the taste and flavor of a well-cooked pulled pork barbecue sandwich. Unfortunately, the Koreans don't consume this brand of barbecue in ROK. Instead, we have some very tasty bulgogi, which I have yet to get the good stuff! So I was saddened, thinking that I would have to wait a year before I could have some good 'ole Carolina barbecue. Not at all! Behold, this work of art from the Hard Rock Cafe in Seoul:

Hickory smoked, vinegar-based pulled-pork barbecue, complete with some slaw, fries, and red beans!

And if that wasn't enough culinary delight, the next morning I took part in feasting upon these awesome breakfast dishes:













With food like this in Seoul for an every-once-in-a-while treat, it will help make the time away from home a little sweeter. My goal for the next few months is to eat more Korean food, rather than my usual "safe" favorites I've had since I got here. I just hope I won't die from red pepper overload!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails